Martin Luther King, Jr.
Nature of Award
The Abilene Black Chamber of Commerce has established a scholarship to be awarded to deserving recipients. The Annual MLK Banquet will serve as the funding source for the scholarship. Therefore, the amount of the Scholarship may vary from year to year. Consistent with Dr. King's legacy, the most qualifying criteria for the Scholarship that students must demonstrate are social activism, community involvement, and service. Such involvement builds strong lines of communication and is essential to the development of effective, lasting relationships that advance social change within a community.
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. scholars will be selected based on demonstrated leadership; commitment to and involvement with social change; financial need; academic achievement, and acceptance/enrollment in a post-high school institution of learning. community.
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Scholars will be selected on the basis of demonstrated leadership; commitment to and involvement with social change; financial need; academic achievement, and acceptance/enrollment in a post-high school institution of learning.
- 1. The Abilene Black Chamber of Commerce has established a scholarship to be awarded to all students in general and black students specifically.
- Students that attend high school in Taylor County
- Have a 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale) GPA or higher.
- Plan to attend college full time (minimum of 12 semester hours)
- Write an essay as directed and described in the "Written Essay" section of the Scholarship Application.
Students who wish to apply for this scholarship must:
- Complete the MLK scholarship Application
- Provide two letters of recommendation. (These letters of recommendation may be completed by an educator, minister, employer, etc. who knows the applicant.)
- Mail the completed application form with a copy of their official transcript to the address on the last page of the application.
The final selection will be made by an appointed committee. The recipients will be chosen, and alternates will be selected in the event any of the recipients are not able to accept the scholarship. Recipients may be asked to participate in a brief interview prior to the presentation of the scholarship being awarded.
Payment of the Scholarship:
Payment of the scholarship will be made upon verification of enrollment in a college or university.
" Education builds a better future!"
You may submit a pre-application to show interest in the scholarship program and so we can contact you when the scholarship application becomes available.